Spork Illness Update

A few of you know that 2 years ago, almost to the date, I became the proud mother of not only 1 guinea pig, but 2. Long story short, just over 2 years ago, I bought a guinea pig... from the boy side of the cage since I knew there was a chance that girls could be pregnant. Poor little guy was getting picked on by the others so I took him in. Well, I noticed he started getting fatter and thought it was just due to lack of exercise. Well, I came home one night and there was another guinea pig in the cage, but much smaller than the first. Turtle, the first one, was not a boy, but was put with all the boys... biology took over and a few months later, I had Spork.

Well, the other day I was looking at Spork and he wasn't looking good... yes, Spork is a genuine "he". He was lethargic, his eyes were sunk in and crusty, and had lost a ton of weight. Saturday I went and got him fresh veggies and hay and all he had energy to eat was the hay. I panicked. I thought maybe his teeth grew too much and he couldn't eat. Yesterday after church I gave him more veggies and after my nap, I woke up to find that he broke one of his 4 front teeth off. Again, I panicked. After franticly searching the internet, I found out that it will grow back and he should be fine, as long as he can eat. Well, he's eating better every day and drinking more water. Today after school he had apple, parsley, and lettuce. I think he'll be just fine.

All I can guess is that he didn't like the new food I got. It's hard being up here without a pet store that sells food they eat around. The closest is 45 minutes away and so when I was up there last time, I had to try a new food because the other pet store was closed. They've never had a problem switching food before so I didn't think anything of it... oops... guess this time we had a problem since Spork wasn't eating it, just burying it.

Comments

Popular Posts