Eye Issues

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, but it's been a bit of a long 2 weeks. It started 2 weeks after school got out with our school ABC sale... basically donations from the community (including beds, appliances, and even a motor boat) turn our church/school into a large consignment store for a week. Lots of hours, but worth it.

Next, just 2 days after the sale, I started a new job working at Reed's Family Outdoor Fitters, the local hunting/camping/fishing store. My goodness... I wonder how I ever catch fish with as few fishing items as I have... it's fun, but more fast paced with it being tourist season, and also long hours standing that I'm not used to (or in shape for!). It's getting better, now that I have better shoes.

Well, after only 4 days working, I found out what to do if you are injured on the job... and I found out the hard way. I was vacuuming before the store opened and trying to get it done quickly, but the cord got stuck. So I bend down to unhook it and I didn't notice the peg sticking out that normally holds merchandise. The other 11 pegs that are about 6 inches long and 1/4" diameter all had things on it... except this one so that's how it got overlooked. Well, I found the peg... as it was jabbed into my eye. At first my eye just watered and I kept checking if it was water or blood, cause it hurt! Then on my way to the back where I was working, I looked in the mirror and there was a red dot on the whites of my eye... ok, a little bruise and scratch since my eye stings, not to worry. But wait, now it's getting really hot in here and I'm turning flushed... hmm... so I talked with a few people at work, no one really knew if I should go in. After almost 2 hours, it started feeling better, but the red was still there and I was still a little "out of it" so I called home and under mom's advice (mom's always know what to say!) I called a friend and went to the Eye Clinic 30 miles away... that's the closest thing open on a Saturday! I only scratched the white part, no serious damage, but now I've got eye drops to protect it. I'll post pictures soon (now that I have my camera in my known possession). Funny enough, I haven't been asked to do any vacuuming since then... :)

Comments

Esther said…
Mary, Mary, Mary. You're the only person I know that can injure themself vacuuming. Hope your eye feels better soon!
Mary Metzger said…
I'm talented, what can I say? :)

Popular Posts