Pies

So, for a fund raiser at school, we make and sell homemade pies. It's pretty interesting! I've never made a pie from scratch before... Sara Lee or one of her friends always did. But, I have (sort of) learned how to make apple, cherry, and blueberry pies from scratch! Last week I spend 2 hours scooping out Crisco for the dough balls and this week, ladies rolled it out while I helped cut apples and mix the apple pie filling. I guess you could say we cheated for the blueberry and cherry - we just used can filling. And, ok, so I didn't get to see how the dough is rolled out... we have a few more pie dates, I'm sure I'll see that.

After these last few weeks I have come to a few conclusions...
1. Recipes should have 2 versions - the "real cook" versions which include words like "some," "heaping," "dash," and other various descriptive words AND the "detail oriented cook" version where 5 cups of apples really means 5 cups, not 5 heaping cups, because really, there is no accurate way to measure "heaping" because depending on how wide the mouth of the measuring cup is could impact how high this "heap" goes. Take a guess as to what cook I am - give you a hint, my 5 cups were not nearly as much as everyone else's 5 cups, but in my defense they didn't tell me to heap the cups... :)
2. I am not teaching anyone how to cook. My type of cookbook... "A Man, A Can, and A Plan." Maybe that's why I haven't done cooking activities with my kids yet...
3. I need to learn how to cook.
4. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been called "sheltered" or "city slicker." Don't get me wrong, it's kind of funny that others think that I'm a city girl, not just me, since I've never caught a fish, fired a gun other than squirt guns, baked a pie not made in a factory, or seen milk come from a cow.

When all is said and done, I still come to this conclusion... yes, I may be in the country, but I'm loving it up here... I'd love it even more if we had Chinese food, McDonalds, Coldstone Creamery, Target, or Chipotle closer than 45 minutes (2 hours for Chipotle), but it's nice and peaceful up here!

Comments

Popular Posts