Taxes

I have now discovered another of the annoying consequences of being an adult... taxes. I have never done anything with taxes before, just handed my W2s to my dad and that was it. Well, for church workers, there's quite a bit more to do since some things can be tax deductible, some aren't, some are only partially. And then there's a housing allowance which is part of our salary we're not taxes on so I had to estimate how much it would be and found out I wasn't even close so that may mess things up...

I used an accountant for the first time this year and they had this nice worksheet for us to fill out and then they fill out the tax forms, but their worksheet was 11 pages long! It was overwhelming! So what do I do with anything that is overwhelming?? Do the ostrich - stick my head in the ground and hope it goes away. Well, didn't work... go figure... :) I finally got everything done and am now just praying that I don't owe taxes... and the best news? One church worker told me a statistic he heard was church workers would be audited 3-4 times in their lifetime, and if there's problems they can keep going back and back for many years looking at their taxes. Eeep... not good for someone with organization problems!!

Comments

Popular Posts