Ignorance is bliss...

Many people have had to choose an apartment, usually on their own. I've lived in 3 apartments in the last few years, each one different. None of them really required much thought. My first one I found online, I knew the area so that helped, and a friend had lived there for years previous. 2nd was one that my friends lived in, again easier to decide. My 3rd was a total act of faith, agreeing to it without ever seeing it, but I had little option being in a small town.

Now an apartment in Houston has been significantly more difficult. First off, I'm trying to learn a new city and good areas/bad areas. Next, I'm moving from a gorgeous and roomy 2 bedroom back to a 1 bedroom and trying to have the same open feel. 3rd, I found a website where people can rate apartments so, of course, most people just put the bad. I understand this is only 1 person of sometimes hundreds of apartments, but still, it's hard to willingly go a place that has bug reports. One of my friends I'm staying with also said that he heard some apartment managers will go on pretending to be clients and post negative comments. He read a post by someone giving specific reference to unit number that doesn't exist and a manager posted, calling that to attention.

I went to an apartment search company yesterday, first time I've ever used them, and the lady found 2 places for me to look at. It's more than what I really want to pay, but if I feel comfortable there, that's what counts. So I visited one today (since the other doesn't have office hours today) and really liked it. The unit itself is small, but it's got quite a bit of storage space between the pantry, cabinets, storage locker, and walk-in closet. Oh, and this is a NEW complex, only about 60% filled. I got to ride on a golf cart to get around! :) It's nice and in a quiet and up-an-coming area. We'll see about the other one which was a little cheaper, but I think further out.

Hopefully I'll have pictures soon!

Comments

Esther said…
Good luck, my prayers are with you. I'll be excited to see pictures soon!

Popular Posts